Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Numbness...

I woke up this morning, thinking that it was going to be just one more day, among the thousands of days that pass me by, which I wouldn't remember three months from now. I walked out of my bedroom, to Larry King Live, talking about this massacre at Virginia Tech. How I wish it was one of those non-eventful days I could easily forget.

For me, Virginia Tech is the school where my uncle studied, it's the school which gave me an admit last week and it's the school I hope to attend some day. My first reaction was, rather selfishly, "How is this going to affect Appa's feelings about the university?" Then, as the details sunk in, I was stunned. A feeling of utter numbness crept over me. Such a horror could happen anywhere, anytime, any place. You cannot hope to police all the people, all the time. You ought to be able to trust in the basic decency of human nature. You deserve to be able to look at another person with trust. I think that all of us have to wake up and smell the gunpowder. There's something dangerously wrong with the society we live in. Everyone's always angry, always on edge. It is imperative that we take a step back and see what we have become. How on earth can we justify somebody walking into a room and killing dozens of people?

My thoughts and prayers are with the families of the victims.

2 comments:

Anamika Anyone said...

Its just horrible. And whats more disgusting is the fact that there is such a large hue and cry because an Indian prof was killed. What about the other victims?

Pooja said...

That's exactly what Megha and I were talking about this afternoon...From what I saw in the news, I don't even know the names of the other victims..Had to go online to find out..